Thursday, January 13, 2011

packing and packing and sorbet

moving
I've been spending the better part of every day surrounded by boxes. Packing is overwhelming! It makes the home look very unorganized and i have a hard time functioning in a place that isn't organized.. so i find myself walking in circles a lot. I'm almost finished though! It's looking pretty empty, especially since we sold our couch, coffee table and dining table. Yay for craigslist.

We've been eating some pretty weird combinations of food as a result of trying to use up what food we have. But one thing I wish I had more of is this meyer lemon sorbet. I've been on a (refined) sugar fast since the beginning of the year and surprisingly i haven't had any terrible cravings for it. As i was trying to figure out what i wanted to do with a bag of meyer lemons, i came across this sorbet recipe. I gave it a shot and used agave in place of sugar. It was most delicious!! And I promise you there is no difference in taste and texture as far as the agave vs. white sugar. If you're trying to steer clear of refined sugar, give this a go.

meyer lemons
Meyer lemon sorbet


Meyer lemon sorbet


3/4 cup agave (i highly highly highly recommend xagave, i've used other agave brands in sorbet and they were no good)
1 cup water
1 cup freshly squeezed juice from meyer lemons (it was about 5 lemons for me)
2 teaspoons fine lemon zest

Mix together all ingredients and chill in the refrigerator until cold.
Once cold, freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can pour the mixture into a shallow pan and freeze in your freezer until semi-solid. Then take a fork and fluff it up, returning it the the freezer to freeze firm. Then put in a food-processor or blender to process until smooth.

Place sorbet in an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.

5 comments:

  1. I love that lemon shot it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds and looks delicious, and so easy to make. Packing and moving is ridiculously overwhelming, I'm all over the place too. Last year, I had to move in the dead of a snow storm, it was a complete nightmare, but the feeling after you're settled is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope moving goes smoothly for you. don't forget to write what's in the box on the outside - i skipped that step the last time i moved and spent hours digging for things (and creating a huge mess!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, that looks absolutely delicious.
    And moving is such a pain. I hope you are able to move everything quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds delicious! I'll have to give it a go! My boyfriend and I just moved as well, so we are finished with the packing mess and are now on to the unpacking mess. The nice thing about unpacking, however, is that you soon find a place for everything and every box that is emptied feels like a victory. Good luck!!

    jaimereneestylista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please say hi!

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS