Wednesday, February 27, 2013

23 goals // add a mile each month

23 goals
23 goals
vitamins and health
vitamins and health


At the beginning of the year I jotted down some goals for 2013. They range from "Make cheese at least once" to "go to NYC" to "get a new tattoo". I'll share about them here as I accomplish them... something to keep me accountable.
One on-going one that'll run throughout the year is "Add a mile each month". So I started with running one mile 5-6 days a week in January, upped it to 2 in february, and come friday it'll be 3. These are the easy months, talk to me in july or august... yikes! I think this will be a really good plan for me. I've been a runner since I was a teenager but mostly just 3-5 miles a day so i'm looking forward to getting a little more accomplished in my running.

To be honest, I haven't been working out super consistently since this time last year.. i was running and doing workout dvds here and there but over the summer and through fall and winter i was having some health issues (extremely nauseous 24/7, super fatigue, bad stomach pain) and working out worsened it so i just gave it up completely until i got things sorted out. It's mostly gone now except for the occasional nauseous days but overall, i'm feeling a MILLION times better.

Running again has been great, i'm pretty out of shape as far as my lungs are concerned but 7 months off will do that to you. I've also been doing ballet beautiful 3 times a week (which is AMAZING by the way) and stretching 20 minutes a day (trying to get my flexibility back but my ballet days... we'll see how that goes!).

Hooray for getting to be active again! Does anyone else want to do this "add a mile each month" with me??





11 comments:

  1. I would die around June if I did that, lo, I've never been much of a runner, but I AM going to train for my first 5k! For a cause near and dear to my heart. www.helpher.org I'm a survivor. Props to you for that goal! Excited to see as you fulfill them all! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good gracious, yes. I will do this with you! I haven't exercised in I think a year and a half! I am ridiculously weak, and am struggling with carrying Jacob as he gets heavier and heavier. Where are you running? And I think I will have to do this Ballet Beautiful! I keep hearing a lot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been doing ballet beautiful too. Kicks my butt, but I love it. I'm looking forward to when I can actually keep up with her! I used to be an avid runner but a few years ago I became very ill and had to give it up. Finally discovered I had ulcerative colitis and now, with the help of my naturopath I feel better than I have in years. I'm excited to build my strength back up and actually feel strong again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great goal, and since it's long term it sounds actually do-able! I need to get back into running...I keep telling myself once the snow melts lol. It would be awesome to be able to go for more than my usual 3 miles. Maybe I'll join your challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I did the mile a day challenge and then quit as soon as it was over and I told myself I wouldn't do that. You've encouraged me to start again! I like adding a mile over a months time. Easy way to get into it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea! I really need to jot some goals down and hold myself accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not much of a runner, but I do like your goal! I need to come up with some sort of working out goal like that, because, it's been way too long since I've done something active.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is maybe a weirdly personal question... but what happened with your health problems? I have been having those problems too & so far had no success at figuring out what is causing it.

    Allyson

    ReplyDelete
  9. The challenge sounds great! I started with one mile today. My goal is 4 miles. Since I'm not a runner, that's pretty much for me.

    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very inspirational post! I have set my mind to competing in a triathalon on June 15th (yikes!) and running is the one leg of the race that gives me the willies! Thankfully, my hubby has also committed to running a hardcore mountain marathon in August, so together we have leapt into the world of running - literally gasping for air!

    I do hope that you continue to share about this challenge as the months past, it would surely motivate moi! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a really great goal! I just started running as well, and starting off small and adding on a mile is such a great idea. I'm going to borrow that :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please say hi!

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS