Thursday, April 28, 2011

healthier banana bread

I had a huge banana bread craving for the past few weeks but since i was "off" sugar i thought i should wait to make it. Well, last week I had bananas begging to be used and I figured I could sub something natural for the sugar so thats what I did! This is the first thing i've baked in the new house.. actually, i think it's the first thing i've baked since i moved (January). crazy...

(the muffin pan and liners are from ikea. they make the cutest tall and skinny muffins)

banana bread
banana bread

3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 - 1 cup honey (or agave... or sugar)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 350°F With a wooden spoon, mix oil into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the honey, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into oiled muffin pan (or loaf pan if making a loaf). Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes, (if baking a loaf about 1 hour). Cool on a rack.

15 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE the shape of the muffin tins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good! Love the healthier substitute. And those "tall" muffins are awesome! I will definitely have to pick up one of those muffin tins next time I'm at Ikea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I were to skip the oil part, how much butter or butter substitute would you suggest using?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good! Especially those super cute skinny muffins. So much fun.

    I made banana bread last weekend, and it was the best I've ever made. I don't think I'm ever going to use a different recipe. Here is the recipe, if you're interested. http://lovestoeat.wordpress.com/2009/06/12/no-oil-or-butter-banana-muffins/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this! I've been craving Stephan's grandma's banana bread lately, and this recipe looks like it may rival hers, which is a lot more complex. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those muffins are so cute! I always forget about banana bread, thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks! i got the fabric at joann's, in the home decor section. it would make a really cute dress! except it is pretty heavy fabric,maybe too heavy for clothes:( but you should still check it out, maybe it will work for something.
    cute and yummy looking muffins by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love banana cakes, I bet the muffins tastes closely to it but the dough is different. The molder looks great. You could make a stuffing muffin then.

    Buy WoW Account

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look heavenly! I love banana-flavored sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look incredible! I just stumbled upon your blog and love it so far--the photographs are stunning! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the idea of making banana bread into muffins. Have a good weekend. I enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used the recipe and these muffins were delicious! I used the honey in place of the sugar like you suggested and I'm so glad I did. When I put them in to bake the honey smell was overwhelming and I was worried but when I tried one the honey taste is not too strong at all. These muffins were very moist and definitely a crowd pleaser. You have a great blog and I will keep reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi you! thanks for this great recipe! I changed somethings to make it more healthier, I used whole wheat flour, added some oats and used coconut oil instead of canola oil.
    I make 'm pretty big so one is a great breakfast with a little homemade jam.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please say hi!

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS