Thursday, December 31, 2009

chewy chocolate gingerbread cookies



Gingerbread cookies have always been a favorite of mine. In high school my friends and I would stay up late making chewy molasses rich cookies, baking about half the dough and eating the rest straight out of the bowl while watching movies. Just thinking back on it I can almost feel the inevitable stomach ache we'd always get.

Part nostalgia, part needing a holiday treat for a party, I decided to make some gingerbread cookies. I came across these in Martha Stewart Cookies. I figured everything's better with chocolate right? Nod yes, please. Because the combination is magical.






(click on pictures to enlarge)


Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
makes 2 dozen

1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 tablspoon cocoa powder
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water
7 ounces good quality semi-sweet chocolate, cut into chunks
1/4 cup granulated sugar

1. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper

2. In a bowl, sift together first six ingredients. In a different bowl, beat butter and fresh ginger until lightened, about 4 minutes. Add brown sugar, beat until combined. Add molasses, beat until combined.

3. In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in boiling water. Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in baking soda mixture, then remaining half flour mixture. Mix in chocolate; turn onto plastic wrap. Pat out to a 1-inch thickness; seal wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours or overnight.

4. Preheat oven to 325. Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Chill 20 minutes. Roll in granulated sugar. Bake until surfaces just begin to crack, 10 -12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.

8 comments:

  1. These cookies are beautiful. I love the flavourings you've used. Im going to book mark this one. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these look very good. There are going to be the next cookies I cook, thanks for the recipe!!
    Joy was right :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these a little while back after finding them via Martha Stewart, and my husband and friends swore they were one of the best cookies they've ever had. Definitely a keeper recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I'm going to give these a try as soon as my sugar levels come back down to earth after the holiday binges. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you think this would work with earth balance or some other sort of vegan shortening?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, man. I made these tonight, and wow. I can't believe how good they are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want have to know more and more, on your blog just interesting and useful information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this post is quite old but I just wanted to say that these are probably my favorite cookie of all time. I make them every Christmas (literally I could eat them every day but that wouldn't be good hehe). Thanks for sharing!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please say hi!

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS