Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Lavender latte (with homemade syrup)

Lavender Latte

Lavender Syrup

Lavender Syrup

Lavender Latte

I sorta kinda like lavender a whole lot. If there is something on any menu with lavender, chances are I'll be getting it... lemonade, cookies, ice cream, chocolate, ect. But lavender lattes are probably my favorite. I don't order lattes very often at coffee shops (hello, that gets expensive) and most of the time the lavender is too subtle so I had been meaning to make my own lavender syrup for over a year and I just finally got around to it. It's perfect in a latte (or your regular coffee/cream) and I'm also looking forward to using it to make a lavender hot chocolate for the christmas season.

To make the syrup:
Mix equal parts sugar and water in a pot over medium heat until sugar has dissolved (I used 1 cup each). Add in 3 tablespoons dried lavender and simmer for one minute. Remove from heat and let steep for 30-60 minutes, depending on how strong you want the flavor. I think I did mine for about 45 minutes. Strain the buds out using a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth. Store the syrup in the refrigerator for up to a month.

To make a latte with the syrup:
Heat up 1/2-3/4cup of milk and a tablespoon of lavender syrup and whisk until frothy. I poured the milk over a double aeropress "shot" and topped with the milky foam. It's not high class but it does the job perfectly!

7 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks so good! Sounds like a good bedtime drink!

    cantbuymelovvve.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you love Lavender, you should find your way to the San Juan Islands in WA state! There is an amazing lavender farm up there, Pelindaba, that has everything lavender. :) Love your idea of putting it in coffee, gonna make sure to add it to my next latte. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i tried out a few lavender things when it first started to get big in the culinary world. lavender lemonade, lavender cookies, lavender sugar. every time hoping is was a taste you had to get adjusted to but nope. every time i just felt like i was eating hand lotion or something... this looks great though (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it sounds heavenly. I'm a bit of a lavender freak myself...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks unbelievably good. Must try!
    Lucy xo | We Resolve Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fantastic. There is a tiny coffee shop in Brooklyn that makes these. Upright Coffee in Greenpoint. http://uprightcoffee.com/french-lavender-latte/20121102/

    Definetly worth a visit if your heading to New York.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please say hi!

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS