Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Chocolate chip cookie dough truffles



I've been in a cooking rut for the past two weeks. It isn't that I can't find inspiration, my bookmarks folder is bursting at the seams with delicious recipes for goodness sakes. It has much to do with the fact that I'm still (after over two years!) getting used to juggling two dinners a night. You see, I am a long time vegetarian gone mostly vegan, and my husband is a carnivore who hates cheese and garlic, (however he does love every vegetable, which is more than I can say). So this leaves me with cooking two separate meals each night. Good thing I like to cook, right?

Well sort of.

Most days I plan our menu with all the same elements, subbing orange tofu with brown rice for his orange chicken with white rice. Lasagna means cheese-less, just meat sauce in between noodles for him. Cheese-less, meatless, add eggplant, spinach and pine-nut spread for myself.

But lately I haven't done so well at the planning and by the time I've prepped, started and finished his dinner I have absolutely no energy to make mine. Then I sit down with pretzels and a small dish of melted chocolate chips and call it a night.

And it was two of these cookie dough truffles that made up the majority of my dinner on valentines day. And for once I was quite okay with being tuckered out after fixing dinner for my husband.

It is exactly what you think it is. Chocolate chip cookie dough, dipped in chocolate. And they are egg-free for those who worry (and easily adapted to be vegan). My chocolate coating doesn't look perfect but that was okay with me cause once in my mouth they were nothing short of perfect, and cut me a break, as I was dipping them in the chocolate I was balancing the phone on my shoulder so I could chat with my mom about a future vacation. And that night I found chocolate in my hair.



Chocolate chip cookie dough truffles (a love and olive oil recipe)
makes 3-4 dozen, depending on size.

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup milk or soy milk
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, or small chocolate chunks.

14 oz dark chocolate candy coating, (i didnt have any so i used chocolate chips)

Directions
Beat butter and sugars and in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add soymilk and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt and mix on low speed (or by hand) until incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips.

Cover and chill dough for 1 hour.

When dough is firm enough to handle (it may help to lightly flour your hands), form dough into 1″ balls and arrange on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Place sheets in freezer and let chill for 30 minutes.

Melt chocolate candy coating in a double boiler or in microwave according to package directions. Using forks or a dipping tool, dip cookie balls into candy coating to cover. Tap fork on side of pan to remove any excess coating, and return to waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Chill until set. Store, chilled, in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Or freeze for frozen treats.


32 comments:

  1. I'll definitely be making some of these for Brittany she is cookie dough obsessed! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto, ditto, and ditto. My only saving grace for Patrick is that he prefers brown rice and such, so we can at least share that part. And when it comes to baking, he doesn't care that 95% of the time its all vegan. Dumb old husbands. haha

    And please feed me these, thank you. I had agave stuck in my hair for a whole day recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cookie dough dipped in chocolate!!Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I loooove cookie dough, these sound like heaven to me!!!

    Can't be much fun having to cook such different stuff all the time, I'm glad I don't have that problem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look fabulous and I'd love to try making them. At the risk of sounding like a dumb-dumb however, what is dark chocolate candy coating? Can anyone help?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. its basically very easy to melt chocolate. you can get it anywhere, look next to chocolate chips. its also sometimes called "almond bark" and it looks like this.
    http://giverslog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/wilton-candy-melts-ingredients.jpg

    or

    http://suzannemcminn.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_5099.jpg

    Or you can just substitute chocolate chips, which is what i did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that simple no-bake dessert idea! I love cookie dough, AND cake dough.....so am sure i'll love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm gonna make those for a friend of mine, I just wonder why you put baking soda into the dough although it doesnt have to rise as you don't bake it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Posing a potentially dumb question here, but maybe someone can answer me? I've seen other cookie dough truffle recipes and have been wanting to make a snickerdoodle truffle. Figure I might add cinnamon to the dough, and use cinnamon chips melted as my coating. But that's not really the question I just thought of.

    I seem to remember reading somewhere that the point of baking powder/soda/cr of tartar was to help give the dough lift/rise and browning. We're not doing either of those things with a cookie dough truffle, so is it needed? Do we just put it in because it's in most cookie recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katharina and shanbanan,

    the baking soda gives the cookie dough truffles an authentic cookie dough taste. but of course it isnt necessary to help bind or anything so feel free to leave it out if you would like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These truffles look heavenly! And no raw eggs! Absolute perfection. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of my favorites... though dangerous to have around if you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That' simply genial... I love it!!!!
    (And photos are just wonderful)
    I am really cookie-obsessed, so once I tried a cookie-cake too.... But... It has been a mess! Too much butter for a cake :P
    Now it's a little bit of time that I'm thinking about doing a cupcake with a cookiedough-like frosting. Your version without eggs is really helpful!
    Love your blog and above all these truffles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll take these for dinner any night. Problem is I would be up all night 'cause I would eat so many of them. Great idea and lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made these last night and they are amaaaazing! Thank you for sharing the recipe...my family and I loved them. I did have some issues with the technique for dipping though...any suggestions?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look fabulous and i love that they don't have eggs in them. I can see that these would be great right out of the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marvin's a picky eater too. And by picky I mean that he won't eat anything that's even remotely nutritious. I feel your dinnertime pain!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, wow. This is making me terribly hungary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is going on my "must try" list. They sound(& look) delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i made these, and they were great!!!! and then i shared it with my fellow baking and pastry students, and several of them also tried it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this look so yummy! i am adding it to my "to try" list.

    Check me out at: http://annasvirtualkitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am going to make these and add then to vanilla ice cream for a cookie dough ice cream, PERFECTION!!! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I cant believe you make two meals every night! I'd be like "eat this or starve."

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great recipe dear, the chocolate covering looks just fine ;P They look extremely delectable, i must try them! Thank you for sharing!!! <3

    Michi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I will surely try to make it. Cookie Dough

    ReplyDelete
  26. I made something similar to these before but I lost the recipe, so I went looking for it again and came across yours. This is one is some much simpler and actually makes more :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello,
    those truffles look so amazingly delicious that I wanted to make them by myself but when I deeped into the recipe I found out that in spite of all of this flour and baking soda they arent to be baked - how come?? is it healthy to eat raw flour? and is it tasty? I just found it kinda strange...
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am making these for the second time tonight- LOVE them! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I make these all the time!! thanks for sharing it! I am about to go make some more right now!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I want have to know more and more, on your blog just interesting and useful information.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice little recipe here. These would be great treats to wrap up in a little box as a Christmas gift! There's still time...I better get cracking!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please say hi!

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS